Select the Right Roofing Company for Your Home
The average lifespan of a roof is 30 years – provided it was well-constructed with quality material. Roofs are however, prone to weather damages because they are the most exposed part of a house so more often than not, roofs require repairs in some parts.
Caring for your roof is essential. Doing repairs when necessary prevent leaks in rainy weather. Leaks lead to the development of moisture that can damage the wooden structure of the house. Not waiting until it is too late to have repairs done will also save you lots of money.
For many DIY people, the most obvious thing to do is to repair the roof themselves. But roofing repairs, it must be noted, can be quite tricky and unless you are a roofing contractor yourself, you must come to terms with the fact that you might need to hire a professional roofer.
In the following short report, you will find out practical reasons why roofing repairs must be left to the professionals only, the benefits of hiring a roofer and the 5 essential things you must know before calling the local roofing company.
Should You Do It Yourself?
Many people opt for DIY repairs because it saves a lot of money, and it can be fun sometimes. However, there are simply some projects that must be handled only by professional contractors and roofing repair is one of these.
There are lots of mistakes that one who is not well versed in doing roof repairs can commit… And these mistakes can be really costly and even life-threatening!
The following are the most common mistakes DIY people commit when it comes to roof repairs:
They ignore safety precautions
Roofing repairs and installations is one of the most dangerous occupations of all time. There are a lot of hazards involved in it such as falls, tool hazards, injuries like puncture wounds and cuts, electrical and fire hazards and natural dangers like strong winds, ice and lightning. Is it worth it to lose limb or life just to save a small amount of money?
1. Fasteners end up in the wrong place
Just one fastener out of place can cost you hundreds of dollars plus more repairs. This mistake is easily avoided if you know what you’re doing or if you hired someone who does. lake oswego roofing company
2. They buy the wrong roofing systems
A poor choice in roofing system increases the risks already associated to roof repairs. Metal roofs become slippery with the slightest amount of moisture and asphalt roofs require a certain slope to prevent leaks. Speaking of slopes, there are requirements that must be considered and only a roofer understands these.
Mistakes in roof repairs or installations will lead to the necessity of replacing the system again, thus the need to spend more cash. Additional expenses can be avoided by hiring a reliable roofing company.
Why It Is Best to Hire a Professional Roofer
Aside from the avoidance of mistakes and unnecessary expenses, there are other benefits to hiring a professional roofing contractor:
• The right type of roofing system is used. Since there are many different types of roofing materials (metal, steel panels, wood shakes, asphalt shingles, clay tiles, rubber slates, etc.), choosing the right one can get confusing. By hiring a roofing contractor, you are spared from making mistakes that you’ll soon regret.
• The old roofing material is properly disposed of. Majority of roofing contractors will cover everything from removing the old roofing, replacing it and disposing of the old material.
• Expert installation. You are sure that the roofing system is installed securely and weather tight.
• Damage to the roof system is avoided. Roofers have scaffoldings that they use to repair or install roofs without inflicting damage to other parts of the roof or house.
• Your roofer will help you decide if a new roof needs to be installed or if some repairs are all it takes.
• Get advice on the side. Good advice on roof care is a bonus you get from your roofing contractor. A professional roofer can tell you ways to care for the most exposed part of your house and ensure that it will last as long as it can.
Roof repair is not as simple a task as many might think. There are lots of tiny details that must be considered if you want your roof to become good as new. A reliable contractor can help you figure out what needs to be done and how much everything will cost you.
The 5 Things to Know Before Hiring a Roofer
Now that you know the benefits of hiring a roofer and the risks involved to doing the repairs or installation yourself, there are still a few things you need to understand before picking up the phone and calling your local roofer.
Upon deciding to hire a professional roofer, your first thought will naturally be to call the nearest contractor and get a quote. Not all roofers are the same and if you want to get the best service for your money, there are things you need to consider. There are bad roofers and there are the reputable ones. Of course like any sane homeowner, you’d want to make sure you deal only with a reputable contractor.
Here are some of the things you must know prior to hiring a roofer that can help you identify the best contractor to hire: